crazy poor asian in Paris






Paris has always been a dream, since young.

I mean who didn’t see KC’s KC from Paris to Pinas on TV? I was so amazed and envious when I saw that. Or the Korean Drama Lovers in Paris circa 2004? I was so dreamy when I watched that.
Paris has perhaps been, everyone’s dream destination as it is picturesque and eherm, romantic, right?

Arriving in Paris for the third time did not make me feel less interested. I was excited to roam around while keeping in mind to secure my money. I mean, unfortunately, there are a lot of cases of pickpockets in Paris and with that, I have taken measures to keep my bag affront and yes, I did wear a belt bag hidden under my pants. (never mind that it makes my tummy look bigger in pictures, LOL. Safety first besh!)

The good thing about this travel is that I have learned from my previous ones. For one, it costs extra to dispatch a sim for data, but it is much more convenient, easy and less costly in the long run. Before arriving in EU, I have bought a Europe Sim, with 6 gb data. The moment I’ve arrived in Helsinki for a layover, I plugged it in and voila, it did get a strong cellular site!

Why need a SIM? Because it saves your feet from being DEAD! Literally so.
Unless you go with a group tour, where your itinerary is being laid flat before you, EU data sim can get you anywhere. I have booked accommodations through various sources--- hotels, hostels and even Airbnb and it’s very convenient to inform them exactly when I’m coming, and I do it with emails or Whatsapp. Thankfully, they did not give a fuss when I arrive late due to bus delays or unforeseen circumstances, like a toilet emergency after consuming a year-worth of baby back ribs or a truckload of croissants. LOL

Aside from that, google maps comes in a handy, anywhere and everywhere.
Let’s face it, being a full on tourist can sometimes be so stressful as you need to know where to buy the bus tickets and much more, what bus number to take! I am a free spirited tourist where I have my own planned itinerary but deviates when I feel like it. Let’s say, I craved for a KFC in a city of steaks which cost me triple the price, find the KFC near me, is a life saver! :D

While in Paris, I wanted to try going into luxury shops. I was hoping to score much of a deal. (When I say, “much of a DEAL” I meant, 50% off and above.) In Paris, luxury stores are crowded. The thing is, you cannot dare queue in a Louis Vuitton store, for example, just to WINDOW SHOP. Queuing would take an hour or so, and you just want to take a look without buying? I’m afraid sales assistants would tell you, you just wasted their time.

Anyway, I queued with a friend who is decided to buy her dream bag. We queued for almost two hours until it was our turn to be entertained. They asked which bag and leave to get it in their stock room. They have this Ipad where you can browse the bags and honestly, I was tempted. I was thinking, “Oh God! I queued for two hours and I am already here, might as well buy the cheapest!”

I am fond of small sling bags, or purses with slings and one model caught my attention. It’s not the cheapest and when I converted, I thought about skipping six months' worth of lunch for it. haha BUT most of the purses were either sold out or with another branch. As much as I wanted to be disappointed, I sighed in relief. (I still get to eat lunch, yeah? LOL.)
The attendant was friendly enough to have us seated and offered us coffee while we wait for hot stamping. I chatted with another attendant and she gave us a perfume sampler for free. Yay!

The next day, I have spoken with my mom and asked her if she wanted a bag. She had the same idea and she told me “Labli, naa naman jud ka dira, sayang pud.” ("Labli, andyan ka na, sayang naman") So I said, okay… We headed to another Louis Vuitton branch in Montaigne and I was in awe that there weren’t as many people as it had on Galleries La Fayette the previous day. My friend wanted another bag and since we need not queue, it was high time to look around first and decide there. When the attendant came, she asked for about 4 other bags and he said, they were all sold out.

With confidence, I asked about the bag that previously caught my attention, and to my surprise, he said, “Oh! You’re lucky we have one here!” he told us to wait for a minute as he is asking someone to attend to us.

Oh My God!

My hands got all cold, and my ears feel a bit hot. Besh, I was just asking!!!
If the attendant were to come over that minute, I swear, I’ll either run out of the shop holding my scarf to my face or flip over my belt bag to empty. LOL
But the thing though is, no matter how many times I flip, it’d be all the same, I have none!

I nudged my friend in panic and told her, "hala meron daw, tara na! Alis!"
She laughed at me but managed to get out anyway. 

It’s true we really have to choose our battles wisely and this time, I’ve no weapon to go into battle and thus the retreat!

Perhaps when I dreamt of Paris from way back, I should have included the unlimited purchasing power because every time I come to Paris, I really cannot buy anything of value for myself or for my loved ones. If not for the pictures, I really don’t have any. 

But Paris is Paris and what matters is that it will always be special. :D



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to survive a long flight on Economy

Venizia: A peasant traveler's tale

I left my heart in San Francisco